CNN employee and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe lost his bid to avoid being prosecuted.
What’s the background?
In addition to being the FBI’s deputy director, McCabe became acting director of the agency following the removal of former FBI Director James Comey.
The Justice Department’s Office of Inspector General accused McCabe in April 2018 of leaking information to the media in an attempt to “advance his personal interest.” The IG also said that he “lacked candor” when communicating with investigators. McCabe was fired by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions on March 16, 2018. The IG recommended that McCabe be indicted.
In early August, McCabe sued the Department of Justice, alleging that his firing was an unfair political move by the Trump administration. Trump had been critical of McCabe while he was still at the FBI, and McCabe had been fired just hours before he would have been eligible to retire from the FBI with full benefits.
On Aug. 23, CNN announced that it had hired McCabe as a contributor.
Just a few days later, on Aug. 26, the news broke that federal prosecutors were considering filing charges against McCabe. At this time, the New York Times reported that McCabe’s lawyers had been meeting with Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen. The Times said that a source had indicated that it was likely that the lawyers were trying to work out a deal with the Department of Justice.
What happened now?
CNN reported Thursday that their new contributor had been informed by a senior DOJ official that his attempt to appeal the DOJ’s recommendation to indict him had been rejected. CNN suggested that this rejection could mean that McCabe would be indicted soon, as per the IG’s suggestion.